Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Tennis on grass

On Saturday afternoon I finally hit the tennis court (I'd been waiting to play since my last set played in New Hampshire what seems like light years ago). A friend and I went to the Syndey University club courts and played singles for a good two hours. It was not easy adjusting to the bumpy, unpredictable courts (they're not quite as smooth as Wimbledon's). I really had to focus on the ball until it hit my racket, because sometimes it would barely come off the ground and other times it would take a huge bounce. I also had to bend me knees lower than usualto make sure I got under the ball.

I really struggled at first, losing opening set 6-0 (Ankur's a little better than me but not that much), but in the second set I began to find a groove, serving well and hitting myriad good groundstrokes. I ended up losing in a tiebreaker, but I felt good about my game when we departed the courts and I'm ready to play again soon. Hopefully I'll be able to get out there at least once or twice a week.

jake

No comments: