Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Swans triumph, Swans triumph

A huge benefit of the sports scene here in Sydney compared to the States is the price you pay for tickets. On Friday night, five other fellas and I attended an Australian Rules Football league semifinal at Telstra Stadium in Olympic Park. We only paid $40 for the tickets, which placed us in the seventh row behind one of the "end zones." The game wasn't sold out, but it sure felt like it. More than 60,000 fans packed the stadium, waving their Swans flags and banging on drums. The beer was flowing and the stadium had the atmosphere of a UM-Ohio State game.

Most importantly, the Swans rolled to a 127-92 victory, sending them to the championship game this Saturday in Melbourne, where they'll face the West Coast Eagles. We had a couple kicked balls land a few rows from us and there was plenty of action on our end. Knowing almost all the rules, it was a fun experience. I wish I could make it to the final. I can't say I'd prefer a Swans game to a UM game, but a sports game is a sports game and I'm a sports nut. Translation: I'll enjoy any game I attend. It was the start to a protracted, entertaining weekend.

jake

No comments: