Monday, October 23, 2006

Work

I knew I was working 9-5 days on my second day at the job. I entered the Sydney University Aquatic Center around 9, with sun rays splattering down upon me. When I exited the office nearly eight hours later, the sky was overcast, rain threatening the heart of Sydney. It was not an experience I'm familiar with. I've always worked at odd times or outside. Night jobs, mornign gigs, you name it. But never 9-5. Well, I'll have to survive the grind for at least eight weeks of my life.

I am interning with Sydney University Sports, writing articles for the website that will hopefully also get passed on to other publications. There is a lot of freedom at the job. On the second day my supervisor provided me with a list of athletes to write features on, and, without actually saying it, implied that I should "do my thing." This is not to say that I'm on an island. There are knowledgeable people around me who I can ask for questions or advice (for instance, if I'm completely baffled by the sport of cricket - a common occurence). But I am on my own. I sit at a desk, calling athletes for interviews, surfing the web for information on sports, and writing. It's not a bad gig.

The 1-hour lunch break ain't bad either. This week, when those Tigs are playing Games 3, 4 and 5 in St. Louis, I will use that break to watch the final few innngs. Without that break, I don't know what I'd be doing this week. Can't miss the Series!

So that's about the wrap on work. To view my articles, visit susport.com. Click on the links for the articles on the homepage. Some may be by me, and others won't be. You'll just have to sift through them.

enjoy the Tigers,

jake

No comments: