Friday, October 27, 2006

Freakin' Tigers

OK,
Before you all jump over me, let me explain myself. I know this blog is supposed to be solely about things I'm doing in Australia; places I'm visiting in Australia; people I'm meeting in Australia; animals I'm petting in Australia. I know, I know - and I think I've done a pretty good job of abiding by this (if you disagree, you can e-mail me at jbl10@albion.edu - I check it every day).

But there comes a time in one's life when the most important thing happening is 5,000 miles away. That time is now. And it is not easy. I've watched every Tigers' playoff game except two. I've scouted out bars in which to watch the Tigs, I've woken up at 6 in the morning to watch 'em. I scheduled my work week perfectly so I could be off this morning to watch Game 4 of the WS.

And what do they give me? Another throwin' error by a pitcher? More missed opportunities with runners in scoring position? Man, I am dying now. But I'm not giving up on the Tigs. Mark my words: if Verlander finds a way to get the Tigers through Game 5, they WILL WIN THE WORLD SERIES. And I'll watch every remaining game in its entirety. 'Cuz, frankly, watching my team in the WS is far more important than touring some obscure Sydney suburb right now. And what would I usually be doing between 10:30 and 2 anyway? Probably just reading a basketball book (fun fact of my time here: I've already read 4 books for fun and just bought 3 more the other day - Moms would be proud).

Anyway, when you're watching Game 5 tomorrow, don't think you're all alone. I'll be watching, too, rooting on those mercurial Tigs, not giving up hope. After all, it makes me proud to say that two years ago I predicted a Red Sox comeback after that disasterous Game 3 loss. This situation for the Tigers is easier. Three wins in Three nights.

So while I'm attending my first Opera House concert tomorrow and tasting some fine Aussy cuisine, the only indicator of whether it'll be a good weekend is this: will the Tigers win 3 or lose 1?

jake

No comments: