Monday, October 30, 2006

"Snakes on a Plane" with intermission

Imagine lying down, your head nestled on a soft pillow, staring forward at images of snakes devouring people. Pretty picture, right?

Well, I got to experience it.

Last night several other cats and I rolled out to the Govinda Theatre (sp?), a speciality cinema complex in which magenta couches allow you to lay back, relax and take in the film before your eyes.

Best of all, we got to see possibly the year's best action film, "Snakes on a Plane." There is nothing quite like lying back and mouthing the words as Samuel L. Jackson shouts 'em: "Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!!"

Other positives to take from the experience:
- there were no filthy previews
- no promotions for the theater ("Come visit our concession stand!!!")
- and there was a 2-minute intermission (after the little snakes had assailed, but before the cobra swallowed the pompous British man's head - he deserved it, after throwing the blond woman's dog to the snake).

The brief reprieve allowed for a quick analysis among the group of the film's first half (only Toad, Uncle Mel and I had seen it before) during which questions could be asked about the movie's plot if anyone was confused (fortunately not too many questions were posed, as the plot is pretty simple: snakes kill people; Samuel L. kills snakes).

But unlike my SOAP experience back in the States, when I felt squeamish in my normal seat everytime a snake impaled, at Govinda I just hugged my pillow tighter. And sometimes I just laughed (especially at the horny couple who were the first to suffer snakebite, in the bathroom).

For a $10.90 ticket (compared to $9.00 for the regular theatre - and that's just on Tuesdays) the Govinda experience was well worth it. Of course the movie we viewed had something to do with the pleasurable evening, but I have a feeling that Govinda could even make watching "Bambi" entertaining.

jake

No comments: