Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Everything

hey everyone,
I'm sorry I haven't posted here in a while. Obviously this sports blog thing has taken over my life, but that's not to say that I've been sitting at a computer every day punching the keys.

So here's what I've done, what I want to do, my feelings and musing on things... and everything else.

Since I returned from the Blue Mountains more than two weeks ago, I've been yearning to get back there. They are that exquisite. I plan on going back with my good friend, Ashley, this Saturday for a full day of hiking. Should be fun.

Since Aunt Sally has so kindly agreed to pay, I plan on doing the Sydney Harbour BridgeClimb in the next couple weeks (maybe this Sunday). Should be a lotta fun as well as riveting. Unfortunatly, we're not allowed to take cameras (or anything else) when we're up there, but I'll be sure to get some photos from the experience. I think I'm gonna do the sunset climb. Standing on the apex of a bridge while the sun sets below me on the harbour doesn't sound like a bad evening.

Speaking of heights, I accompanied Melvin, Cheryl, Toad and his friend, Will, up to (almost) the top of the tower in Sydney - its tallest building. We relaxed in the bar, sipped expensive drinks and looked out at the city. Unfortunately, our view didn't include the sunset - the bar rotates clockwise, but very, very slowly - however the views were nonetheless priceless.

Last Friday I went out for the first time with just Australians as I accompanied a few of my co-workers for a celebration of another one of my coworkers leaving Sydney Uni Sport. Everyone got loose and we had a good time. I ended up crashing at my co-worker's crib, woke up to watch Ice Age then ate sausages for breakfast. It was a fun experience.

Speaking of work, I'm just about ready to be done with it. I only have six work days remaining. While I've enjoyed interviewing some of the Aussie athletes, I don't feel that I've improved at all as a journalist. I guess I'll just use the experience as resume fodder (because how many American sports journalists have done work in Australia?). On a side note, it's been fun to follow the Ashes, Australia and England's Test cricket match that spans almost two months. It's like the NBA playoffs, except just one series between two teams. Cricket is absolutely bizarre, let me tell you.

I haven't heard back from the woman with the Sydney Kings, Sydney's men's professional basketball team. She said a week or so ago that I could work the games on Dec. 3 and Dec. 8, but until I hear from her, nothing's certain. I guess I'm indifferent. If I work the games, great - more resume fodder and you know how much I love basketball. If I don't, I'll get to spend more time with the great people I've met here before we say our farewells.

Speaking of leaving, it's kind of shocking how quickly this experience has gone. I have five more days at the internship, one more paper due (next week), and the final exam for my mass media class. That's it. I'll be leaving Sydney on the night of Dec. 15 (one day later than most) and flying to Auckland, New Zealand for 3-4 days. I haven't done a speck of planning for New Zealand, so if you know of any great things to do (especially outdoors) please throw reccomendations out there.

I'm very ambivalent about leaving. I'll definitely be happy to get home, see the family, and watch American sports whenever I want to. Relaxing at the crib on Spring Street and hopefully getting my sports writing job back in Jackson will also be great. But at the same time I'll really miss a lot of the people from the program. I've forged some tight bonds here in Sydney, and it'll be difficult to say adios. I'll also miss Sydney to a degree. Living in a big city has many benefits. There's always a store open if I need anything and always bars and 24-hour food joints that can cater to me late at night. But, then again, Sydney has coerced me into spending more money than I planned on, so it'll be nice to be back in cities where it's not quite as easy to burn the wallet. I don't plan on doing much spending for the next few months.

With that said, it's time for me to go grab some dinner and relax the night away. With just over two weeks left in Sydney, I've still got plenty to do.

peace and love,
jake

2 comments:

Jake Lloyd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

I got a mention in the blog! I feel so honored! No worries about leaving us mate, the February 9th party will be here before you know it and I'm sure there will never be a lack of keeping in touch. As mentioned, mi casa es su casa, always. Cheers :)