Sunday, December 10, 2006

"Crazy weekend"

Well, I'm down to my final week here in Sydney. While time is certainly flying, that's only because - as the old saying goes - I'm having some fun.

I feel as free as the dogs in Sydney, who are never leashed up. They're allowed to run freely, chasing each other around trees and giving their owners something to laugh about.

Anyway, here's a rundown of what I've been up to.

On Friday night we bar-hopped in the Rocks before getting a very early breakfast (4:00 a.m.) and waiting by the harbour for the sun to rise (I was sleeping on a bench). Unfortunately, it didn't rise, and we took the bus home disappointed (and very tired).

I slept until 4 p.m. Saturday afternoon before working my final basketball game for Sydney Uni Sport. It officially concluded my internship, which I really enjoyed. I got the opportunity to write several feature articles on Australian athletes in addition to a few game stories, which gave me vital experience in writing in a timely matter. On the downside, I don't feel that my writing vastly improved this semester. Many of the stories were similar to things I've written back home. I didn't really acquire any new journalism skills.

Still, overall it was fun being a part of an Australian workplace. Everyone here is so laid back, even at work. We must have had four going-away lunches for people moving on to other jobs, and whenever there was a birthday, it was accompanied by cake. Other employees also often stopped by my desk to chat. I never felt nervous at Sydney Uni Sport.

Sunday was all about the beach. We hit up Bondi Beach around 1 p.m. and didn't return until approximately 7:30 p.m. It was sunny and hot - not exactly my type of weather - but everyone else was happy, so that was good enough for me. I went in the water at least four times (it was pretty warm) and also played football with the boys.

Although a bit of my energy was zapped by the sun, I still had enough to spend the entire night in King's Cross - Sydney's night district - hanging out with the fellas and watching some late-night soccer. I also met a couple of Aussie fellas and talked sports with them. It was a fun night.

This morning I had aspirations of going to the Blue Mountains for a full day of hiking, but it didn't work out. 'Nuff said. Instead, I got a good shootaround in at this old, rickety hoop in an empty parking lot - I love it; reminds me of the park in "Finding Forrester" - and since then I've been blogging and sitting around.

Tomorrow we finish up school - one final exam.

I guess I should do a little studying.

Anyway, keep checking back with the blog throughout the week. I'll be posting several things whenever I get a chance.

peace and love,
jake

No comments: