Thursday, December 21, 2006

Final thoughts, top moments, etc...

Well, it is over.

I'm home.

I'm unloading the dishwasher again.

I'm watching ESPN again.

I'm taking Copp for walks again.

Etc., etc., etc.

The last three and a half months have been memorable, to say the least. Probably the best three and a half months of my life.

Here are the general highlights of my time spent abroad

Meeting some great people in my Boston University program who I'll definitely see in the future and stay in touch with. We had great times together, no doubt.

Working at Sydney Uni Sport with a bunch of Aussies. It was a great, laid-back environment and everyone was friendly and accommodating to me. We also had a couple of great times out of work.

Working the Sydney Uni Flames games. I love basketball, whether it's in the U.S., Australia, or South Africa. I love covering the game of basketball.

Taking a trip to Melbourne and seeing all the historic sports sights, such as the Melbourne Cricket Ground and The Tan - the city's ancient dirt track, which thousands of runners traverse each day.

Going rainforest biking in the Byron Bay area. Once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Doing the BridgeClimb (thanks, Aunt Sally). Sunset, full moon, great thrills. Yeah, it was that good.

Staying at hostels during spring break and while I was in New Zealand. A similar system needs to be embraced in the U.S. Only having to pay $20 a night for a comfortable bed in a lodge with a kitchen and other amenities is amazing. And you meet a plethora of people with similar interests.

Bar-hopping with the crew. Yes, the bouncers were at times very disdainful of me (for no reason, really), but we had great times nonetheless.

Great ping-pong games in the UniLodge basement with Scubes, Ankur and Pranab. I can't get enough of that game.

Days at the beach. Hitting the waves, playing football, playing the "500-like" game, although we got roughed up and Scubes dominated, and just chilling. I know as the Michigan winter wears on I'll start missing the beach more and more.

Blue Mountains hikes. Three days of hiking in the BM's were phenomenal. They might not have been traditional mountains, since we hiked down into the valley before hiking back up, but who cares? The views were priceless, the waterfalls picturesque, and the experience unforgettable.

Surf camp, all the way back in September. What a weekend! I learned to surf and caught some waves. Need I say more?

Attending a rugby game and Australian rules football game. Although these sports will never be as exciting to me as American football or basketball, they were fun to watch and experience. I must say this: Aussie athletes seem tougher than American athletes. With hardly any pads, they kill each other – and don’t get hurt. And they don’t make as much money either. Props to them.

And now, for the top five memorable experiences - things I won't forget... ever

5 - That afternoon at Bronte. Scubes, Ankur and I hit up Bronte Beach for a late-afternoon swim, and the waves were ferocious. They were killing us as we tried to body-surf them. I almost got carried away to sea, but managed to catch a wave back toward shore. Never been more scared for my life than that afternoon. Crazy.

4 - The night before Ashley's birthday. We went to a Lebanese restaurant - and it was safe to say, many of us had a little too much wine to sip on. Some of us grinded with the belly dancer (not me, thankfully) and just about everyone passed out in Cheryl and Ashley's room. Great night.

3 - The seagulls. Wow, that was scary. On one of our last beach days, Scubes and I were harassed by a herd of seagulls after Scubes threw one of his French fries ("chips" in Australia) at me. First they were one me, but I walked a good 50 meters to the beach, and finally they retreated to harass Scubes. He almost dropped his burger and fries, he was so shaken. But eventually he walked all the way up to the plaza, and they laid off. I will never take seagulls lightly again.

2 - The final Friday night in Sydney. We had a great "Friday on the Roof," throwing the frisbee and Aussie Rules Football around (and off the roof) and playing some quality games of Beirut. This was followed by some great bar-hopping, pancakes in the Rocks (although I had nachos) and a sunrise (well, OK, "cloud rise") by the Opera House. There were also many great side stories from that night, which I will not disclose in this blog.

1 - The whole experience. Not one night or day deserves this spot. I am glad I decided to study abroad. In reality, I didn't even feel like I was at school. It felt more like a vacation. Yes, there were papers to write and tests to take, and, yes, we had our internships four days a week - but it was all fun.

My Australia experience came at the perfect time in my life. With graduation just months away, I needed to see another part of the world and experience another culture. I needed to get a better understanding of what makes me happy (besides sports). What I found is that great friends are very important, but also my independence.

I love the freedom of being on my own in a big country. A couple of the foreigners I met at hostels in Australia and New Zealand were traveling for months, just exploring different regions of the world. I'd love to do that one day. Work can wait. So can other things.

Right now is the best time for me to get out and explore - see what the world has to offer.

These past three and a half months were a start.

Cheers! And thanks to all the mates who made my time abroad so memorable.

No comments: